With Sally Arsenault
Brazilian jiu jitsu is addictive, but it’s also very hard to explain to people who don’t train. More and more women are training these days and sometimes their non-BJJ men don’t quite know what to think of it. I’ve created a guide to help them navigate this new territory, set their minds at ease and create harmony for all.
1. BJJ does not have an extra J.
2. You may get accusatory glances from strangers when she wears clothing that reveals her bruises.
3. You probably won’t understand her clothing or training gear. Google “Meerkatsu”.
4. She can probably submit you so don’t bother with the play wrestling. You’re only hurting yourself.
5. Don’t go to bed angry. You don’t want to risk a sleep choke.
6. Ahem. She needs to sleep already.
7. She has to train regularly to stay in shape. If she misses a lot of classes, it will be hard to keep up with her teammates during rolling.
8. She has to train regularly so she doesn’t choke people in her everyday life, including you when you’ve peed on the toilet seat again.
9. She would love to lift weights or run with you on off days. What a great way to spend quality time together!
10. She rolls with sweaty guys in great shape and she likely sees them in their underwear. But no, it’s not sexual, and no she doesn’t secretly fantasize about her teammates. She chose you for a reason.
11. Her male teammates are not groping, ogling or hitting on her. She learned how to identify and avoid those guys long ago and they don’t last long at a jiu jitsu club.
12. You would probably really like her teammates. They’re awesome people. Why not try to get to know them when you have the opportunity?
13. If she talks too much about jiu jitsu, politely suggest talking about something else you will both enjoy.
14. Jiu jitsu is a part of her lifestyle. Part of the reason she is so awesome is because it has made her a stronger and more confident woman. It has also gotten her into amazing shape, or at least better than before she began training. Embrace her jiu jitsu.
15. Why not try jiu jitsu?
Pick up an annual subscription to JJS alongside an exclusive Fabrique Pour Grapplers t-shirt from just £30 HERE.
We’ve reduced our European and Rest or World subscription prices! Get every issue delivered straight to your door HERE.